To mechanically shape and prepare the root canals during endodontic therapy.
To remove the root canal obturating material while performing retreatment.
To remove infected pulp.
Recommended speed is 150 to 400 rpm
Recommended torque limit is 450 g/cm (4.4 N/cm).
1. Establish the initial glide path patency with #8 or #10 hand files.
2. Enlarge / expand canal orifice with a DCTaperH™ 20/06 or 25/06 rotary file going apically about 1 -2 mm (D1–D2) past the orifice. The SS White Orifice Opener may be used if preferred by the clinician. An EG #2 slow speed with a light touch can also be used. Avoid using Gates Gliddens or Peeso reamers as canal orifice openers.
3. Complete hand filing from #10-#15 hand file depending on the size and shape of the canal anatomy.
4. Next use DCTaper 13/v03 or 14/03 and DCTaperH™17/v04 to initiate rotary filing sequence.
5. Irrigate with NAOCL (using side vented irrigation needle) alternating with EDTA or equivalent with each pass of the next instrument and when recapitulating with hand files.
6. Use lubricant with each file.
7. Use each file sequentially to apical working length until desired enlargement is achieved.
8. Allow files to engage and advance apically to resistance on their own – do not push or “help” them advance through resistance.
9. After the file engages dentin for 1-3mm remove it and wipe dentinal debris from file flutes to enhance debris removal.